I was in the mood for some Texas Caviar (also called Cowboy Caviar) for lunch. So, I went to Pinterest to see if there was a new recipe I could try. Uh, there were pages of recipes.
You see, this is the problem with Pinterest. It can be a little overwhelming if you’re looking for something simple.
I browsed a couple of recipes, then decided to go with my standby, the one so easy I can do it without a recipe. And, I thought I would share it with you. Here is how I make it. Mine is vegetarian, but a friend I know puts chicken in hers. Everything is really to taste so adjust amounts as you prefer.
- 1 whole red pepper, diced.
- 1 whole yellow pepper, diced (may substitute green for the red or yellow peppers)
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1 can black beans
- Chopped green onions, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup of fat free or light Italian dressing
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1 T. lime juice
Mix all of the ingredients and serve as a salad, or serve with tortilla chips.
Some recipes have corn, tomatoes, and avocado. Again, adjust as you desire. Want to see how mine turned out?