Pottery Barn 3-Tier Server, Goodwill Style
I taught a craft class this past weekend and I thought I’d share the project on the blog. Since my budget fits Goodwill or flea markets much better than it fits the price of the treasures in the Pottery Barn catalog, it’s necessary to figure out how to achieve the look at, well, 1/8th of the price if ever possible.
This 3-tier serving platter retails for $45 on the Pottery Barn website:
Photo from Pottery Barn catalog
Here’s my knock-off version of the 3-tier platter:
I purchased the plates (the middle layer is actually a shallow bowl) for 75 cents each at the Goodwill store. Actually, they came to more like 63 cents each because I was able to purchase an entire set at 50% off if I bought it by the box. They were a white with a gold rim around the edge.
The plates are connected by taper candle holders which were available for $1 at my local dollar tree, and I found a few with 1/2 off tags at the thrift shop.
I used an all purpose cement to glue the layers together. I looked for a glue that was for porcelain or ceramic and for one that would dry in a quick amount of time after contact. I learned that hard way that super glue isn’t the best since it clouds up, and my sample had a white film inside the candle holders, but it did hold well! At any rate, you’ll want to look for a glue that dries clear because that will prevent the clouding problem. The glue I chose was just $1 per tube in the paint/hardware department and it also claimed to be dishwasher safe, although I don’t plan to put something as clunky as this into the dishwasher. Another friend made one this week and she used epoxy and said it worked well, so you have several glue options.
To assemble your plates, be sure all layers are clean and dry. Then layer by layer, glue around the rim of the candle holder (bottom or top) and stick them together. I eyeballed mine for being centered, but if you aren’t sure your eyeballs are working right, you could measure and mark the centers.
I experimented a little with a clear plate and I liked that too! Instead of a plate on top, I glued on a candy dish on that one.
Total cost for the project, including glue–$4.89. That means it was 1/9th of the price of the Pottery Barn item. At more than $40 in savings, that’s not too shabby!
This project is touring the web this week at:
Trash to Treasure Decorating
View the full post at http://www.trashtotreasuredecorating.com